Sunday, May 1, 2011

5.1.11 CBuckles



Above are some study/copies from Dynamic Animal Drawing by Arthur Zaidenberg.

.

In this book he stresses the importance of capturing the general characteristics of an animal. Artists can be limited or intimidated by superficial details when drawing from life or reference. Zaidenberg goes on to state that "(an animals) character is more important and expressive than the exact number and placement of its bones. For ferocity, lines will be bold and strong; for stealth, they will be subtle and tend to smoothness.


These are sketches from some of my reference pictures. I tried to keep in mind what I learned from the studies up top. I don't think I did a very good job getting any "feeling" from the dog on top of the page, the bottom one turned out okay though.

No comments:

Post a Comment